What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Some items are prohibited in the rehab centres. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
You will be admitted to the clinic as you get to the rehab where the entrance process will start. Your clinic's welcome staff will check your bags to guarantee safety and that nothing forbidden is sneaked through. It is a habit with some centres to prepare a catalogue of the items which you bring in order to ensure that you do not leave anything behind when you leave.
However, all treatment centres allow you to bring in the necessities that are required. This policy though may differ from one treatment centre to another.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Find Information About What To Bring
The rehab will always notify you of all the items that are not allowed in their facility. You can also get this info on their website. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. Contact your clinic's admission office if you don't find the material you need. They will be able to provide you all the answers to any questions you may have about what you can bring. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
The list varies from centre to centre.
These are some of the things that you will find allowed in most rehabs
- A list of names, home addresses, and telephone numbers of the people you want to be part of your therapy (those you care about, medical professionals, 12 step guarantors, etc.).
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- Other jewellery with no sentimental value should be left at home.
- You can carry an alarm clock which does not have a radio.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- Existing prescription medication should have complete and accurate labels and original container.
- If you are taking a liquid drug, the bottle must be sealed.
- A complete list of your maintenance drugs and other needed medications.
- Minimum amount of cash in cases where vending machines or in-house stores are accessible.
- Your check book, credit card and debit card for the payment of treatment medications are also allowed.
- Identification information.
- If you want to make long distance calls, bring a calling card with you.
- A journal or diary.
- Envelopes and stamps.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- There are some items that you will get inside the rehab.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- Small notebook are the best since they are not heavy.
What Type Of Clothing Is Necessary
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. In case you are not aware about how the weather will be like, carry some summer as well as winter clothes with you.
Bear in mind that the space within your room could be limited, and therefore, you are advised not to over pack.
Attire for a week is sufficient as you should be able to wash your clothing in a laundry machine at your centre. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes An everyday comfortable shoes, a training or sports shoes for fitness activities, and flip flops for showering
- Shirts Make sure you bring cardigans that should be worn with tank tops in order to respect the dress code.
- Shorts The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- One or two smart dresses for special occasions.
- Fresh and clean pairs of socks.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bathrobe.
- A belt.
- A hat it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. While other centres may allow you to bring products with alcohol component as long as it is not listed as one of the top three ingredients. Do not bring aerosols.
These toiletries and personal products should be enough you to last thirty days especially
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Comb / brush
- Feminine wash or hygiene products
- Shaving cream
- Body lotion
- Sun cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and alcohol
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Pornographic materials
- Food or drinks
- Alcohol based toiletries and personal effects
- E cigarettes
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail products
- Computer games
- Sporting apparatus
- Sexy or revealing clothing
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Cleaning products (bleach, ammonia, etc.)
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Games and playing cards
- Incense or candles
- Clothes with crude statements or photos of drug, violence, or alcohol on them
The items mentioned in this list could very well surprise you and lead you to believe that games like playing cards, video games, DVDs and sporting equipment are indeed safe. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. During certain times, the centres itself will make the arrangements necessary to make items like these available to you.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. You will be given three meals per day, snacks, and drinks All your diet needs will be fully taken care of by the rehab chefs.
Items Which Some Facilities Allow And Some Do Not
Each has their own rules and policies so do not expect that it is standard to all. While a number of things are prohibited across-the-board exceptions may be made by some facilities for the following.
- Computer Equipment
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- The charges should be available in case you are allowed to have one.
- There are facilities that allow patients to bring cigarettes.
- These centres usually have some restrictions regarding the number of cartons you can bring in.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- Chewing gum
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- Music Players
- Devices without speakers or Internet access may be allowed by some centres.
- Cameras should also not access the internet.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- This though is largely not admitted in most centres.
- Disposable razors, however, are more often than not allowed.
- Nail Clippers
- They are prohibited at certain clinics.
- Items To Make Your Room Feel Like Home
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Before packing any of these items you should double check with the chosen rehab centres, whether they allow such items.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
It is possible that by mistake you pack something that is not allowed, but you should not worry in case this happens. In all likelihood, the centre will handover the item to the individual who accompanied you. In case you came alone, the centre might hold the item for a certain period of time, during which someone from your family can collect it. Your objects can be kept at the centre until you finish your therapy.
If you are traveling from a distant location and are arriving by air it is likely that you will not have a loved one with you during the admission to take the prohibited items back. We highly recommend that you consult and clarify with the rehab centre first about their policies and other things of concern. You will wish to have back your forbidden objects packed by error. Make sure your objects are sent back to your house if they are not kept by the clinic.
Packing For Rehabilitation Can Be Easy You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. Ask for a checklist whenever available so you can use as a guide. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Find Support Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
Contact your clinic by giving us a phone call now on 0800 246 1509.